Call for Artists: CU Mural Project

The Cedars Union will soon be opening its brand new 7,000 sq ft artist facility in Dallas. Prior to opening The CU facility, The CU would like to commission an artist to paint a mural onto one of the facility’s interior walls. As part of the commitment to help artists in North Texas, the goal of this project is to enhance the space with original artwork while also providing a stipend to a local artist.

The mural should achieve the following goals:

  • Inspire artists working inside The Cedars Union facility
  • Generate interest in and awareness of local artists in North Texas
  • Be aesthetically pleasing to visitors

Project Details:

The Cedars Union is calling for proposals that center around the theme of the owl of Minerva, which represents wisdom in Roman mythology. The owl of Minerva is the icon used in The Cedars Union logo. Proposals must use the owl of Minerva in some way

Budget Description:

Artists will receive $1,000 for the project. It is the artists’ responsibility to supply their own paints and other materials. Selected artists will receive 25% of funds upon signing a services agreement with The Cedars Union; the remaining 75% will be paid when the work is completed and necessary information is provided.


SITE INFORMATION:
Interior wall of artist lounge area within the new CU artist facility at 1219 S. Ervay Street, Dallas, TX 75215.

  • Wall measures 165” wide X 135” high.
  • The wall has a plug at the bottom. 
Mural Wall ducts.jpg

Other Considerations:

  • The CU will provide a ladder and scaffolding if needed.
  • The CU normally would not allow particulates to be used in the facility once it is opened, but will allow spray paint to be used for this one project while the facility is finishing construction. If spray paint will be used, the mural area will be enclosed with tarp.
  • Execution of the mural must be completed late June /early July 2018, to be scheduled with The CU before the opening of the facility.
Mural Wall wide.JPG

PROPOSAL INFORMATION

The request is for pro bono conceptual development and submission of proposals. Artists should submit a concept that is developed enough to provide the selection committee with a clear understanding of the nature and content of the mural being proposed. Proposals should reflect a concept that utilizes the entire space allocated.


Artists may only submit one concept – multiple ideas will not be accepted. Incomplete and/or late proposals will not be considered. Please limit examples of past work to 3-4 images no larger than 1 MB total with application. Proposals including a commercial message, product, trademark, trade name, or otherwise advertising a product, service, or business other than The Cedars Union will not be considered. Proposals containing obscene images or wording will not be considered.

 

Submission Requirements:
In addition to the proposed concept, artists must submit the following information via email:

  • A cover sheet including contact information and
    availability to execute the mural in the month of June 2018
  • A brief written description of the proposed concept that includes the estimated amount of time needed to
    complete the mural and a list of materials to be used
  • An image of what the proposed concept will look like (sketch, computer rendering, etc.)
  • CV that includes relevant qualifications concerning past experience with commissioned art projects 
  • Any examples of previously completed murals or other large-scale works

How to Submit:
Proposals with all associated materials may
be emailed to The CU at: info@cedarsunion.org.
You must include “CU Mural Project” in the
Subject Line of your email.
Questions may be emailed to The CU at: info@cedarsunion.org.

Selection Notification:
The Cedars Union will select 1 artist to paint the mural. Selected artist will be notified by June 8, 2018. The selected artist will be contacted with any additional feedback and scheduling to finalize the commissioned mural.